That is the day our C-section has been scheduled. Apparently the placenta has not budged, and the risk of massive bleeding is too great if I go into labor, so we’re going in at about 38 weeks, which is actually longer than we probably could have hoped to wait if we had any other doctor.
The doctor who did our ultrasound was very lacking in bedside manner, to say the least. (Although he claims he “knows how I feel” – and I’m sure as many babies as he has carried for nine months and birthed he does – ha!) That whole part of the day was pretty upsetting. Our OB was very sympathetic, however (she does know how I feel – she told us some of her birth stories and they are much worse than what I’ve had to deal with!) and she is ready to bend over backwards to make the experience as good as possible.
The good news is, if we had never looked into having a home birth, and because of that switched OBs, we’d be going through all this with Oschner in Baton Rouge, which would be a real nightmare. And I’ll still be able to try and VBAC for another baby, assuming that there are no complications like this again. And our kids will have birthdays on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th of their respective months. And mom will finally get to be here for the birth, instead of driving in while it’s going on.
So the next two weeks are going to be hard, waiting for something I really don’t want to happen. I’m not ready for this pregnancy to end, but after two more weeks of bed rest I may be more than ready! But at the same time I’m trying to be very thankful that we caught this and can hopefully avoid such a serious risk. This pregnancy has been a roller coaster – midwifes in Baton Rouge, to home birth, to hospital, to C-section… So it’s more bed rest, and trying to avoid any more bleeding, because that would mean delivering immediately.
And despite the flurry of ultrasounds, we still don’t know the gender. And we want you all to be surprised with us! : )